ACA Basics
Laying a Solid Foundation | Lesson 7

Getting Started Selling ACA

You may be asking the question: “How can I get started selling ACA plans?”

The good news? It’s a pretty simple process!

To start out, you do need to have your health insurance license for the states that you would like to sell in.

Once you’re licensed, you’ll need to complete any necessary marketplace training and certifications.

If you are selling in a state that uses the federal marketplace, you’ll need to complete the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace or FFM training through CMS.

If you’re in a state that has a state-based exchange using the federal platform, these states may require you to complete the FFM training as well. You can find detailed instructions to get started with your FFM training in the resources for this module.

In states that use a full state-based marketplace, they often have their own certification that agents will need to complete.

How you’ll access certifications for state-based marketplaces, including those that use the federal platform, again will vary by state.

Be sure to check with your state’s department of insurance for more detailed instructions.

ACA certifications need to be completed annually and will cover you for that given plan year. Then, once you’ve completed your marketplace certification for either the state or federal marketplace, you’re ready to get contracted.

And once you’re licensed, marketplace certified, and contracted, you’re ready-to-sell!

Watch the Next Lesson